The Township is accepting applications for the following position:
Zoning Officer – Department of Community Development
Salary Range: $55,000 – $115,000
Work Week: Monday – Friday
Work Week Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under direction and supervision of the Director of Community Development, performs the duties of Zoning Officer as dictated by the Municipal Land Use Law including review of zoning and building applications and permits for compliance with state, county, and local zoning laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations and conducts field work to ensure compliance with zoning regulations; does related work as required including but not limited to:
- Enforce the provisions of the municipal Land Use ordinance and Property Maintenance code.
- Review applications and permits as required for compliance.
- Serve as the administrative officer designated to receive and review all plans for development prior to the submittal of applications for action by the Planning Board or Board of Adjustment.
- Attends all meetings of the Zoning Board of Adjustment.
- Answer questions from the public, real estate professionals, and lending institutions on requirements for zoning.
- Review and approve all applications for change in occupancy or tenancy.
- Consult with property owners, architects, and contractors on satisfying local requirements and managing compliance issues.
- Conduct field inspections to ensure compliance with zoning regulations and applicable rules. Identify non-compliant conditions and initiate appropriate enforcement actions.
- Responds to complaints or allegations of non-compliance and conducts follow-up inspections and investigations as necessary and required.
- Maintain essential records and files including the use of designated land use and code enforcement software.
- May assist in the promulgation of zoning regulations.
- Perform other related duties and tasks as required and assigned.
Three (3) years of experience as a Zoning Officer or in the preparation and revision of building construction plans and specifications or in the inspection and enforcement of zoning and/or building construction laws and regulations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to analyze and interpret the local zoning ordinance and other ordinances that apply to zoning, buildings, state and county laws, rules, regulations and policies applicable to zoning and buildings.
- Ability to understand surveys and plot plans and perform basic office duties.
- Ability to prepare clear, sound, accurate, and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Ability to learn to utilize computerized information systems used by the municipality.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; strong organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Ability to deal with the public under adverse conditions and using strong interpersonal skills to communicate with tact and professionalism.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Appointee will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
An online application may be filled out by clicking the link below. A copy of your driver’s license will be required.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS WILL BE FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2022.