The State of New Jersey has instituted an online firearms application and registration system (F.A.R.S.). Applications for a firearm purchase permit and/or firearms ID card are the entirely online. Please read all instructions carefully.
You will need the following items will for the application process:
- Valid New Jersey driver’s license number.
- Social Security Number (S.S.N.)
- State Bureau of Investigation (S.B.I.) number. (If you do not have this, you will be assigned a number as part of this application)
- Valid email address(s) for yourself and your references (References CAN be family members)
- North Brunswick Township Police O.R.I. number: NJ0121500
- Go to https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS and click the blue box to begin the application process.
- Please read every question thoroughly – If you have any questions or are unsure about something please call 732.247.0922 x 420 before submitting.
- Monitor your email for status changes and for alerts that we need additional information. You will receive an email from the state to notify you that your application has been forwarded to our local department.
- A detective will notify you when your documents are ready to be picked up. Please have valid photo ID with you.
- If you receive a notification that you have been denied, a letter of denial will be sent to the address you listed on your application. This letter will explain the steps you will need to take for an appeal. You can contact our Detective Bureau personnel with any questions (732-247-0922 Ext. 420).
Important notes for applicants
Please make sure of the accuracy and completeness of any information you enter on the application. Only “Official Names” can be used. You cannot utilize simplified versions such as “Joe” for “Joseph”. References are contacted by email so be sure the email addresses you enter are accurate, including your own, as this is the email address you will receive your confirmation number and status updates through. Applicants will have an opportunity to review all the entered information before clicking “submit”. After clicking “submit”, you will receive a confirmation number which is unique to each application. Please record this number or print the page. The confirmation number is how we track each application so we can answer any questions you may have. If applying for both a Firearms ID Card and Pistol Purchase Permit(s), please do so together on one application. If you submit several subsequent applications, each receives a different confirmation number and we cannot combine them.
Fee(s): In order to complete the application, we must receive the permit and/or ID card fees prior to proceeding with the application as per New Jersey Administrative Code N.J.A.C. 13:54. The fees are payable when you pick up your documents and are $2.00 per pistol purchase permit and $5.00 for a Firearms I.D. Card. The local fees (cash or check) are collected by Records Bureau personnel at Police Headquarters and are non-refundable.
- If you have been fingerprinted in the past for firearms and have a New Jersey State Bureau of Investigation (S.B.I.) number, you do not to be fingerprinted again. You will need to enter your S.B.I. number in the appropriate field. Your S.B.I. number appears on your current Firearms I.D. Card.
- If this is your first time applying and/or you have no S.B.I. number, you will need to make an appointment with “Identigo” to be fingerprinted. The new online system, (F.A.R.S.), will auto-fill a form for you to take with you to get fingerprinted. The information on where to go is on the form. You will need a printer.
When approved, you will receive an email notification to the address included on your application. This DOES NOT MEAN that the hard copy permit(s) and/or I.D. Card is/are ready.
These documents require an authorized signature to be valid. You will be will contacted when these documents have been prepared and signed off on. Please bring proper identification with you when picking these items up.
- You may withdraw your application at any time by calling or emailing us.
- Any fees previously collected are non-refundable.
- If, after 90 days, there is no activity with your application (failed to be fingerprinted, no reference returns, supporting documentation/information not provided, etc.) we will withdraw your application from the system.
- Once withdrawn, you will need to begin an entirely new F.A.R.S. application should you wish to reapply later.