The State of New Jersey has instituted an online firearms application and registration system (F.A.R.S.). Applications for a firearm purchase permit and/or firearms ID card are the entirely online. Please read all instructions carefully.
Basic Application Instructions
- Go to the online application.
Go to https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS and click the blue box to begin the application process.
You will need the following items for the application process:
– Valid New Jersey driver’s license number
– Social Security Number (S.S.N.)
– State Bureau of Investigation (S.B.I.) number. (If you do not have this, you will be assigned a number as part of this application and will need to get fingerprinted.)
– Valid email address(s) for yourself and your references (References Can be family members)
– North Brunswick Township Police O.R.I. number: NJ0121500
- Read the application thoroughly.
Please read every question thoroughly – If you have any questions or are unsure about something please call 732.247.0922 x 420 before submitting.
- Monitor your email.
Monitor your email for status changes and for alerts that we need additional information. You will receive an email from the state with your confirmation number as well as to notify you that your application has been forwarded to our local department.
- If you are emailed that your application is accepted wait for further instruction.
When approved, you will receive an email notification to the address included on your application. This does not mean that the hard copy permit(s) and/or I.D. Card is/are ready. These documents require an authorized signature to be valid. You will be will contacted when these documents have been prepared and signed off on. Please bring proper identification with you when picking these items up.
- If your applications is accepted and you have been advised that your documents are ready, then come to the Township Police Department to pick up your documents.
A detective will notify you when your documents are ready to be picked up. Please have valid photo ID with you and your fees ready to pay. In order to complete the application, we must receive the permit and/or ID card fees prior to proceeding with the application as per New Jersey Administrative Code N.J.A.C. 13:54. The fees are payable when you pick up your documents and are $2.00 per pistol purchase permit and $5.00 for a Firearms I.D. Card. The local fees (cash or check) are collected by Records Bureau personnel at Police Headquarters and are non-refundable.
- If your application is denied, file an appeal.
If you receive a notification that you have been denied, a letter of denial will be sent to the address you listed on your application. This letter will explain the steps you will need to take for an appeal. You can contact our Detective Bureau personnel with any questions (732) 247-0922 ext. 420.
Important notes for applicants
Please make sure of the accuracy and completeness of any information you enter on the application.