Please call (732) 247-0922 ext. 470 to arrange for an appointment.
Where to Apply
- If either partner is a resident of New Jersey, the license must be obtained in the town where either partner lives. If neither partner are residents of New Jersey, then the license must be obtained in the town where the marriage/civil union will take place. The actual license will only be valid in that town.
- The fee for a license in New Jersey is $28.00. The Township accepts exact cash or money order.
- All applications for marriage licenses and civil unions require an appointment; One (1) witness 18 years or older must be present during the completion of the application with photo identification. There is a 72 hour waiting period from application date to issue date. A marriage license is only valid for 30 days from issue date. Both applicants must appear in person with one (1) witness. Both applicants do not have to appear at the same time, but MUST APPEAR WITH THE SAME WITNESS. Photo identification such as a driver’s license or passport for both partners. Must be able to verify physical address. Please be able to verbally provide the following information: the places of birth of the parents of the applicants; the ceremony date; the town and facility name where the ceremony will be performed; the name and the full mailing address of the person who will perform the ceremony; the full names of the fathers and the full maiden name of the mothers of the couple; the Social Security numbers for couple.
Where to File the License
- The license must be filed with the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the Municipality where the ceremony was performed by the person who performed the ceremony.
- Please be sure that the person performing the ceremony lists the Municipality as North Brunswick and County as Middlesex. All paperwork must be legible with no errors, scratch offs, white out etc., when returned to the Municipality.