It is important that individuals coming to court know what is expected of them. Court rules are not optional and must be followed.
Rules To Follow
- No weapons are permitted in the court room or the municipal building.
- Please remain seated quietly in the court room. Proceedings are taped and any background noise may cause interference on the tapes.
- Food, drink or gum chewing is not permitted in the court room.
- Newspaper reading is not permitted while court is in session.
- Smoking is prohibited by law in all government buildings.
- Please avoid bringing small children to court. If you must bring them, please be prepared to wait outside the court room until your case is called.
- Please wear suitable clothing to court. Shirts and shoes are required. Hats are not permitted.
- When your name or the case you are involved in is called, come forward to the podium to speak to the judge. Do not approach the bench at any time.
The court is not a walk-in service. You must have a court date scheduled in advance of your appearance. You must call the court to schedule a date if you do not have one.
The court session is conducted as follows: (in accordance with R-7:14-3a)
- Application for adjournments
- Arraignments and first appearances
- Guilty Pleas
- Contested Matters With Attorneys
- Contested Matters Without Attorneys
- All Other Contested Matters