Plan Reviews & Change of Ownership

New Construction

All new construction or renovation of retail food establishments must have a plan review conducted by the local registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS or Inspector). While additional drawings can be provided to this office, in coordination with the construction department, all plans should be submitted to them in the construction office to which they will acknowledge receipt of the plans. Per NJAC 8:24, the Health Department has 30 days to review these plans with an approval or denial.

Note: Effective 2019 a plan review fee of $75.00 is required for all plans submitted for Health Review. Please see link for plan review fee form. Checks/Money Orders should be made out to the Township of North Brunswick and Health Dept. Plan Review Should be noted. They can be sent to Twp. of North Brunswick Attn Health Dept. Plan Review 710 Hermann Road, North Brunswick NJ 08902.

Change of Ownership/Renovation/Opening Requirements

If you take over or sell your retail food establishment a health inspection is required. It is always recommended to have a health department walkthrough if you are interested in obtaining a retail food space to determine if changes are needed. There will no longer be “grandfathering” of establishments based on the Chapter 24: Sanitation in Retail Food Establishment.

Any commercial kitchen or retail food establishment renovations should be reported to the Health Department and may require that establishments be brought up to code if required. If any renovations are to occur while a retail food establishment is in operation the health inspector must make the determination if they can occur while maintaining protection of food. Any plans or renovations must have the required permits from the Township of North Brunswick.

Also, any retail food establishments wishing to open must obtain a pre-operational inspection before doing so. They must then obtain the corresponding final construction and fire inspections for openings and changes of ownership. For construction/fire questions please call 732-247-0922 x440.

All Health Department related questions for plans, construction and renovations can be directed to the Health Inspector at (732) 247-0922, ext. 254.