The Township of North Brunswick Community Garden is a garden located at the Pulda Farm property, 300 Old Georges Road.
North Brunswick residents are now able to reserve space to have a family garden where they can grow herbs, produce, and flowers. There is one parcel size available, each resident/household can reserve one parcel to use for one season. Applications are not considered complete unless the applicant reads and agrees to the Rules and Regulations. Application will be accepted beginning on January 2, 2022.
If you wish to reserve a parcel, please fill out the Application Form on the tab to the right (FILL OUT) and click SUBMIT at the end.
Garden Parcel size is 10’ X 10’ with 5’ in between for a cost of $35.00.
All Checks should be payable to the Township of North Brunswick.
Please send payment for gardening parcels to:
Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services
Attention: Director Lou Ann Benson
710 Hermann Road
North Brunswick, NJ 08902
Township of North Brunswick Community Garden Rules and Regulations
These Rules and Regulations will help ensure that everyone using the garden will have a productive and enjoyable experience. Applications will be available at the Township of North Brunswick and on the Township website: www.northbrusnwicknj.gov
Parcels are assigned in the last week of March weather permitting. Each household may not have more than one parcel unless there are surplus parcels available.
1. Gardeners must follow all local, state and federal laws. Gardeners agree to hold the Township of North Brunswick harmless for any and all liability that may be incurred by themselves or third parties as a result of the use of the premises. The gardener accepts the risk of loss.
2. Failure to comply with these Rules and Regulations may result in the loss of gardening privileges, including loss of the assigned parcel and registration fees.
3. The garden area is open seven days a week sunrise to sunset.
4. Garden parcels are temporary fixtures. The Township of North Brunswick reserves the right to relocate or remove the garden or any parcels at the end of the season.
5. No pets are allowed in the garden.
6. Gardeners will park in designated parking areas and not drive vehicles into the garden.
1. No materials of any type shall be applied in a manner that affects adjacent garden areas.
2. By June 1, if a reserved parcel does not show clear evidence of active gardening and the director has not been contacted, the parcel may be reassigned and registration fees will be forfeited. Abandoned parcels will be reassigned and treated as necessary.
3. By Thanksgiving Day, each gardener must clear all corner stakes, fencing, trellises, string and all inorganic material. Any vines or large plants shall be chopped so a cover crop can be planted.
4. No motorized equipment shall be used in the garden.
5. There shall be no planting of invasive, illegal or poisonous plants. Mint plants should be planted in pots so to avoid taking over.
6. No permanent fixtures may be installed in a parcels. Temporary seasonal fences may be installed. Fences shall be installed in a manner that will not trap birds or insects; for instance, fencing will not be doubled over. Fencing material shall be black, earth tone or natural color to reduce visibility. Supports used by gardeners for fencing of vegetation will be traditional cages, stakes, strings and ties. Installed supports may not exceed 60 inches in height. Stakes must be green painted metal or made of wood or wood type products in a natural or earth –tone color.
7. Any mulching material must be either biodegradable or removable black or green material. If it is not biodegradable, the material must be removed in its entirety by the end of the season.
8. Gardeners must bring all tools and gardening supplies. Each gardener is responsible for keeping the aisle and area surrounding their parcels free and clean of weeds, trash, and tools.
9. Gardeners shall securely close the gate when leaving the garden.
10. Water will be provided via a Garden Hose. No garden tools may be left at the parcel. All water collections/storage containers must be capped when containing water to prevent increasing the mosquito population.
11. Any debris and trash, other than compost materials, will be carried out at the end of the day.
12. Place all weed, plant residue in designated compost area.
13. Place all trash and litter in designated waste container.
14. Special request for same location of parcel will be considered but not guaranteed.
1. I will have something planted in my parcel by June 1 and will keep it planted all season long. Members will be notified when the soil is ready for planting.
2. If I must abandon my parcel for any reason, I will notify the Director of Parks, Recreation and Community Services.
3. I will adequately and regularly water my own parcel.
4. I will keep weeds down in my parcel and the walkways surrounding it.
5. I will ensure that my parcel will be cared for in my temporary absence (example: vacation), and will notify the Garden Committee of my arrangements.
6. If my parcel becomes unkempt, I understand I will be given 1 week’s notice to clean it up. I further understand that failure to do so may result in forfeiture of my parcel.
7. I will remove trash and litter from the parcel as well as from adjacent pathways and fences.
8. I will be respectful of the personal space of other gardeners and help others if/when needed.
9. I will participate in the fall clean up of the Garden.
10. I will plant only in my assigned parcel.
11. I will pick only my own crops unless given permission by another parcel user.
12. I agree to contribute volunteers hours toward community gardening efforts as needed.
13. I will NOT bring pets to the garden. Any children that accompany me will be supervised by an adult at all times.
14. I will NOT harm, interfere with, or remove tools from any other parcels.
15. I will NOT consume alcoholic beverages on the Pulda Farm property.
16. I will NOT smoke anywhere on the Pulda Farm property.
17. I will clean and return all tools to their designated area after use.
18. I will turn off all water spigots after use, and coil all hoses neatly on the post provided. I will NOT drag hoses through someone else’s garden parcel.
19. I will make sure that all garden gates are closed and securely in place when leaving the gardens. I will lock the garden each time I leave and will NOT share the lock combination with non-garden members.
20. I will only use products labeled as non-toxic in my parcel.
21. I will transfer all garden waste to designated compost bins/areas.
22. Parcels will be limited to one per household unless additional parcels available. All participants must be 18 years or older in order to have a parcel at the Community Garden.