When do I need a building permit from the Construction Office?

Effective March 5, 2018, municipal permits are no longer required for the repair or replacement of any amount of existing roof covering on detached one or two-family dwellings; the repair or replacement of any existing siding except polypropylene siding; the installation of a burglar alarm or security systems.

You will need a building permit for most types of renovations, additions, or general home improvements including:

• Installation or replacement of hot water heaters, furnaces, boilers and air conditioning.
• Finishing a basement or attic.
• Kitchen and bathroom renovations when services for sinks, refrigerators, ovens or stoves are being altered or moved.
• Building or replacing a deck.
• Installation of a pool in-ground, above ground and temporary pools capable of holding more than 24” of water.
• Removal/abandonment of oil tanks.
• New electric outlets, fixtures, wiring, and upgrade of electrical service.
• Solar panels.
• Sheds greater than 200 SF.
• Emergency generators.
• Most other substantive home improvements where walls, doorways, openings and supporting utilities are being altered or moved.

You do not need a building permit for the following ordinary and minor maintenance:

Ordinary building maintenance includes the repair or replacement of any amount of exisiting roof covering on detached one or two-family dwellings, the repair or replacement of any existing siding except polypropylene siding, interior and exterior painting, wall papering, paneling, replacement of windows or doors provided no alteration to the framing of the original opening, replacement of trim or moldings, replacement of kitchen cabinets, replacement of flooring or carpet, repair of an uncovered porch or stoop, repairs to existing steps or stairs, replacement of screens, and replacement of leaders or gutters.

Ordinary plumbing maintenance includes faucet repair or replacement, trap repair or replacement, replacement of shower valves including minor piping modification, replacement of hose bibs provided that an approved atmospheric vacuum breaker is provided, the repair of leaks involving the replacement of piping, clearance of stoppages, and the replacement of clothes washers and dryers.

Ordinary electrical maintenance includes replacement of non GFI-receptacles, switches, and lighting fixtures that do not require emergency battery packs. Installation and repair of doorbells, replacement of thermostats, repairs or installations of telephone or cable lines, replacement of dishwasher and kitchen range hoods provided that the replacement hood exhaust rate does not exceed the exhaust rate of the existing hood or the exhaust rate of the repclement hood doesn't exceed 400 cfm.

Ordinary fire protection maintenance includes repair or replacement of smoke detector, smoke alarm or heat detector heads with a like device, installation of battery operated or plug in smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors, and the replacement of stoves and ovens provided that no change in fuel type or location or electrical characteristics is required.