Building Regulations

The Construction Official and the Building Regulations staff are responsible for the enforcement of building codes, and similar codes or ordinances related to commercial development in the township, as well as the issuance of certificates of occupancy.

In order to enforce these codes this division issue permits and conducts inspections related to building construction.  Please note that the overall processes involved in a construction project will likely also involve additional permits and inspections provided by other divisions in the department.


Municipal permits are no longer required for the repair or replacement of any amount of existing roof covering on detached one or two-family dwellings; the repair or replacement of any existing siding except polypropylene siding; the installation of a burglar alarm or security systems.

You will need a building permit for most types of renovations, additions, or general home improvements including:

  • Installation or replacement of hot water heaters, furnaces, boilers and air conditioning.
  • Finishing a basement or attic.
  • Kitchen and bathroom renovations when services for sinks, refrigerators, ovens or stoves are being altered or moved.
  • Building or replacing a deck.
  • Installation of a pool in-ground, above ground and temporary pools capable of holding more than 24” of water.
  • Removal/abandonment of oil tanks.
  • New electric outlets, fixtures, wiring, and upgrade of electrical service.
  • Solar panels.
  • Sheds greater than 200 SF.
  • Emergency generators.
  • Most other substantive home improvements where walls, doorways, openings and supporting utilities are being altered or moved.

You do not need a building permit for the following ordinary and minor maintenance:

  • Ordinary building maintenance includes the repair of replacement of any amount of existing roof covering on detached one or two-family dwellings, the repair or replacement of any existing siding except polypropylene siding, interior and exterior painting, wall papering, paneling, replacement of windows or doors provided no alteration to the framing of the original opening, replacement of trim or moldings, replacement of kitchen cabinets, replacement of flooring or carpet, repair of an uncovered porch or stoop, repairs to existing steps or stairs, replacement of screens, and replacement of leaders or gutters.
  • Ordinary plumbing maintenance includes faucet repair or replacement, trap repair or replacement, replacement of shower valves including minor piping modification, replacement of hose bibs provided that an approved atmospheric vacuum breaker is provided, the repair of leaks involving the replacement of piping, clearance of stoppages, and the replacement of clothes washers and dryers.
  • Ordinary electrical maintenance includes replacement of non GFI-receptacles, switches, and lighting fixtures that do not require emergency battery packs. Installation  and repair of doorbells, replacement of thermostats, repairs or installations of telephone or cable lines, replacement of dishwasher and kitchen range hoods provided that the replacement hood exhaust rate does not exceed the exhaust rate of the existing hood or the exhaust rate of the replacement hood doesn’t exceed 400 cfm.
  • Ordinary fire protection maintenance includes repair or replacement of smoke detector, smoke alarm, or heat detector heads with a like device, installation of battery operated or plug in smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors, and the replacement of stoves and ovens provided that no change in fuel type or location or electrical characteristics is required.

In order to sell your home, you need to submit two (2) separate and distinct applications, with separate payments, as follows:

A Certificate of Continued Occupancy from the Construction Office.

A Certificate of Compliance by the Fire Marshal.

The Department of Community Development has established a drop box in the parking lot of the municipal building for the delivery of permit applications and check payments for the construction, zoning, and fire marshal offices. Documents associated with Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment applications may also use the drop box.

Get Directions


Richard Krug
Electrical Subcode Official
Donna Ball
Technical Asst. to Construction Official
Donna Mikolajewski
Technical Asst. to Construction Official
Garry Aumack
Part-Time Plumbing Sub-Code Official/Plumbing Inspector