Municipal permits are no longer required for the repair or replacement of any amount of existing roof covering on detached one or two-family dwellings; the repair or replacement of any existing siding except polypropylene siding; the installation of a burglar alarm or security systems.
You will need a building permit for most types of renovations, additions, or general home improvements including:
- Installation or replacement of hot water heaters, furnaces, boilers and air conditioning.
- Finishing a basement or attic.
- Kitchen and bathroom renovations when services for sinks, refrigerators, ovens or stoves are being altered or moved.
- Building or replacing a deck.
- Installation of a pool in-ground, above ground and temporary pools capable of holding more than 24” of water.
- Removal/abandonment of oil tanks.
- New electric outlets, fixtures, wiring, and upgrade of electrical service.
- Solar panels.
- Sheds greater than 200 SF.
- Emergency generators.
- Most other substantive home improvements where walls, doorways, openings and supporting utilities are being altered or moved.