Automated collection requires only one employee to service your home without leaving the truck. Each household receives one 95-gallon cart which has a serial number that corresponds to your address. The cart is the property of The Township of North Brunswick and remains behind for the new resident, should you move from your current location.
About Your Cart
Your cart is for the disposal of regular household garbage. Please seal food and animal waste in plastic bags. This helps to prevent odor and pests, especially during the summer months.
Before moving your cart, make sure the lid is closed. Grasp the handles and tilt the cart toward you. Push and pull the cart to make it roll. Handle the cart with care on slopes, inclines, steps, or during inclement weather. The lid to your cart must be able to be closed. If you have additional bagged refuse that does not fit in the cart, call us for a bulk pickup.
Wash your cart with regular soap and water periodically to eliminate odors, which can often be avoided by storing your cart in a cool place away from direct sunlight.
Your cart must be at the curb on collection day by 6:00am, but no more than 24 hours prior to collection. Place your cart at the curb or the edge of the street. Please do not place carts with 4 feet of mailboxes, utility poles, sign posts, cars, other carts or containers. Position your cart with the handle facing your home—this helps the driver pick up more efficiently. If you own more than one cart, please leave at least 48” between the carts at the curb.
Carts must be removed from the curb by 8:00am the day after collection. Carts may not be placed at the curb more than one day prior to collection day.
Did you know?
- Regular garbage cans cannot be used with automated collection, but can be used for your recycling, as long as they are smaller than 32 gallons.
- You can purchase one additional automated cart from DPW for $60. “Maximum of two automated carts per residence”
- Carts have a 10 year warranty.
- If your cart needs to be repaired or replaced, please call us at 732-297-1134.
- You can arrange for a “loaner” cart for one week if needed.
IS YOUR SOLID WASTE PICKED UP TWICE A WEEK?
If so, you have the manual solid waste collection system. Please remember:
- Trash must be in sealed plastic bags or in a 35 gallon, Rubbermaid-style container.
- Lids Must be removable!
- PLEASE do not use the automated-style trash containers—they are too heavy for the collectors to pick up.
Twice a week solid waste collection dates for Townhomes and Condominium complexes: Monday & Thursday : Wood Acres, Sassafras, Thomas Avenue (single family homes have once a week collection), Aspen Drive, The Oaks (right side coming from Route 1 ), and Driscoll Court, Willowbrook development, Riverbend development
Tuesday & Friday : Renaissance (Salem Road), The Oaks (left side from Route 1) Society Hill, The Heights at Main Street
North Brunswick Department of Public Works
45 Quarry Lane
North Brunswick, NJ 08902